If you visit any tea shops in Kerala, you will find a delightful sight of tasty snacks arranged in a glass shelf. There you will see this beautiful yellow colored sweet snack which gives you an irresistible feeling to have one.
Sukhiyan or Suhiyan is a tea time snack made using green gram. A mixture of cooked green gram, grated coconut, cardamom, and ghee is shaped into small balls. These balls are then dipped into a thick batter (all purpose flour, rice flour, a pinch of salt and turmeric) and fried in oil. A perfect snack for the tea time.
- Cooked green gram – 3 cups
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Jaggery syrup – 1/2 cup (See Tips section)
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Rice flour – 1/2 cup
- Salt – A pinch
- Turmeric powder – A pinch
- Water – As per need
- Oil – To deep fry
- Mix together ingredients from 1 to 5.
- Shape it into small balls.
- Make a thick batter by mixing ingredients from 6 to 10.
- Dip the balls in the batter and deep fry.
- To make jaggery syrup, melt 1 and 1/2 cup of jaggery by adding 1/2 cup of water. Boil till the jaggery reaches a one string consistency.