‘Kadachakka’ or ‘Sheema Chakka’, also known as ‘Breadfruit’ in English, is commonly found in Kerala. This seasonal fruit is healthy as it is very rich in carbohydrate, dietary fibre, minerals and vitamins.
In Kerala, people make stir fry, curry or even chips before the fruit has ripened, when it’s mature and still firm. This stir fry recipe is very easy to make , uses minimal ingredients and is absolutely delicious.
- Kadachakka / Breadfruit – 1 number
- Turmeric Powder – A pinch
- Mustard Seeds – A pinch
- Garlic – 4 to 5, finely chopped
- Shallots – 4 to 5, thinly sliced
- Green chillies – 4 to 5, finely chopped
- Dry Red Chillies – 3 to 4, roughly cut
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – As per taste
- Oil – For tempering
- Cut Kadachakka into 1-inch sized pieces.
- Cook it in water by adding salt, turmeric powder, garlic and green chillies.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds.
- Add shallots, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- When the shallots are golden brown in color, add the cooked Kadachakka and mix well.