Jackfruit (Known as ‘Chakka’ in Malayalam ) is one of the most abundant fruit in Kerala. When Jackfruits are in season, one cannot ignore the wide varieties of Jackfruit products available in the market. Out of this vast selection, crispy Jackfruit chips (Chakka Varuthathu) turn out to be the people’s all time favorite.
Unripe Jackfruits are sliced and deep fried in coconut oil. Finally, they are sprinkled with some salt. These super tasty chips can be stored in air tight containers for months. For the same reason, you will find this chips throughout the year in most of the bakeries in Kerala. Even though you can buy it from the store, it is always a different feeling to make chips at home and sharing it with close friends and relatives.
Let the next Jackfruit season be your time to have some homemade Jackfruit chips. Here’s the recipe.
- Jackfruit – 1kg, cleaned and cut into strips
- Coconut oil – For deep frying
- Salt – As per the taste
- Heat coconut oil in a thick bottomed kadai.
- When the oil reaches the smoking point, gently add the jackfruit strips. The oil will bubble up. So, be careful not to overcrowd the kadai and get burned.
- Deep fry in a medium high flame. Stir in between.
- When the froth subsides, lower the flame and fry till the chips are crispy. Listen for the crisp sound while stirring to know if the chips are ready. Pay attention not to brown the chips too much.
- Drain off the excess oil and sprinkle it with salt.
- Keep the chips open till it cools completely. Transfer to air tight conditioner only after that. Or else, the chips will get moistened and the crispiness will be lost.
- You may add a pinch of turmeric to the oil while frying if you like it to be more yellowish.
- Try to use coconut oil for frying. It is key to it’s delicious flavor.
- Some people sprinkle salt water to the oil instead of adding salt after frying. But, there is a chance of oil bubbling up too much and may spill over. Better you avoid doing this, as there is a chance of getting burnt. Remember, prevention is better than cure. 🙂