Kerala offers a wide variety of seafood delicacies. Fish is mostly prepared as curry or it is marinated with spices and then fried. There are wide varieties of fish recipes available across Kerala.
Indian Mackerel, known as Ayala or Aiyla in Malayalam, is one of the most common fish available in the state, harvested from Arabian sea. Ayala Varuthathu or Ayala Fry is prepared by marinating the fish pieces with spices and then shallow fried in coconut oil.
- Ayala (Mackeral) fish – 5, cleaned and striped
- Shallots – 4 to 5
- Ginger – a small piece
- Garlic – 4 to 5 cloves
- Red chilli powder – 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – A small sprig
- Salt – As per taste
- Water – To grind the masalas smoothly
- Coconut oil – To shallow fry
- Grind together ingredients from 2 to 10 and make a smooth paste.
- Marinate the fish pieces with the masala and keep it for at least 1/2 hour.
- Heat coconut oil in the frying pan.
- Add the fish pieces gently.
- Shallow fry in a medium flame for approximately 10 to 12 minutes till both sides are cooked and crisp.
You can use the same masala for frying other fishes too.