In Kerala, a majority of people follow a non-vegetarian diet and among them, the percentage of Beef lovers is considerably high. It is one among the few beef consuming states in India. Kerala’s intense love for beef is very famous.
Every festive feast of Christian and Muslim communities of Kerala will have at least one beef dish as a certain thing. This doesn’t mean that other communities avoid having them. Of course, there are people from other communities who are die-hard fans of beef. The butcher shops in villages and towns will be mostly opened only on weekends. It won’t be an exaggeration if we say that many people wait for weekends to come, just to buy beef and cook something really matters for their taste buds. Also, most of the restaurants in Kerala which serve non-vegetarian food have beef-based dishes highlighted on their menu.
If you are a beef fan, then the beef dishes from Kerala will be a real treat for you. You will surely fall in love with the perfect blend of beef and Kerala spices. This recipe of Kerala Style Beef Fry makes a perfect combination with Malabar Porotta or Neychor. You’ll find different versions of beef fry. This is a dry recipe which you will find in many homes in and around Kottayam and Idukki region. Here’s how it is made.
- Beef – 1/2 kg, cleaned and cut into medium sized pieces
- Shallots – 1 cup, crushed
- Ginger – 2″ piece, crushed
- Garlic – 4 to 5 large cloves, crushed
- Dry red chilli – 2 tbsp, crushed
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp (adjust the quantity according to your taste)
- Garam masala – 2 tsp
- Coconut bits (Thengakothu) – 1 cup, cut into small pieces
- Salt – As per taste
- Vinegar – 3 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil – For frying
- Make a marinade by mixing ingredients from 2 to 12.
- Marinate the beef pieces and keep it aside for at least 1/2 hour.
- Pressure cook the beef. Add little water in order to avoid beef sticking to the bottom. (See ‘Tips’ section)
- Heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves.
- Add the cooked beef and stir well.
- Shallow fry in medium low flame till the beef turns nice black in color. The beef will be crisp outside and soft inside.
The cooking time can vary according to the meat characteristics like it’s quality, fat content, the thickness of the cut. Other factors like the temperature of the flame also contribute to it. Cook the beef in medium flame for approximately for 10-12 minutes after the first whistle. Let the pressure cooker cool on its own accord. Check the beef if it’s cooked properly. In case it is not completely cooked, pressure cook it for additional one or two whistles.