Treat your taste buds with this mouth watering ‘Unakka Chemmeen Chakkakuru Manga Curry’ and rice. This curry is a unique combination of Unakka Chemmeen (Dried Shrimps), Chakkakuru (Jackfruit seeds), Manga (Mango) and is one of the most delightfully flavorful seafood specialty of Kerala.
- Dried Shrimps – 1 cup
- Jackfruit seeds – 15 to 20, peeled and cut lengthwise
- Raw Mango – 1, medium sized, cut lengthwise
- Drumsticks – 2, peeled and cut into 2″ pieces
- Grated Coconut – From one 1/2 of a coconut
- Shallots – 8 to 10, medium sized
- Red Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – A pinch
- Dry Red chillies – 4
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Salt – As per taste
- Coconut oil – For tempering
- Water – For gravy
- In a mixer, add coconut, 3 shallots, turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin seeds and little water. Grind into a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Pressure cook jackfruit seeds by adding some salt and water. Cook in a medium flame up to 2 whistles or till it is done. Keep it aside.
- Dry roast the shrimps in a medium-low flame for 1 minute and keep it aside.
- In a vessel, add jackfruit seeds, mango, drumsticks, and some water. Mix and close with a lid.
- Once it boils, add the roasted shrimps and mix well.
- Add salt and coconut paste. Add water if needed.
- Cook till the shrimps are done. Switch off the flame.
- In a kadai, heat some coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add chopped shallots, curry leaves, and dry red chillies. Stir and cook till the shallots turn light brown in color.
- Add the tempering to the curry and mix well.
- Serve with hot rice.