‘Karal’ (കരള്) is the Malayalam term for ‘Liver’. ‘Karal Varattiyathu’ is a dry dish where the liver (of Chicken, Beef or Mutton) is cooked with spices till all its moisture content has dried up. If you get a chance to visit a local toddy shop or Kallu Shaap in Kerala, try a plate of liver fry with some hot Malabar Porottas. It is super delicious!
Yes, of course! Many people don’t prefer to eat organ meat. Still, this is for those who like it a lot. This dish doesn’t require many ingredients or preparation. So, it is very very easy to make. You can also use the same method to prepare Beef Liver Varattiyathu or Mutton Liver Varattiyathu.
Watch the recipe here.
- Chicken liver – 500 gms
- Red chilli powder – 2 to 3.5 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 to 1.5 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1″ piece, finely chopped
- Garlic – 5 to 6 cloves, finely chopped
- Onion – 1, sliced thin
- Green chillies – 4 to 5 (Adjust the quantity according to your spice level.)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil – As per required
- Water – As required
- Thoroughly clean the liver and cut into chunks.
- Marinate the liver with 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, and salt.
- Keep it aside for at least half an hour.
- Heat some coconut oil in a kadai.
- When the oil is hot enough add the mustard seeds. Allow the seeds to pop.
- Add curry leaves, ginger, and garlic. Cook till its raw smell is gone.
- Now, add the sliced onion and some salt. Adding salt will speed up the cooking process.
- Add green chillies. Cook till the onions turn mushy.
- Add 1 to 1.5 tsp of red chilli powder, 1 to 1.5 tsp of coriander powder. Always adjust the spiciness according to your need. Stir for a minute or two. Take care not to burn the spices.
- Now, add the marinated liver piece and some water. If you feel that the marinated liver pieces contain enough water, you don’t have to add more water.
- Mix everything nicely. Cook for 10 to 1 minutes. Stir in between.
- When the gravy is almost dry, sprinkle some pepper powder. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Chicken Karal Varattiyathu is best served with Appam, Porotta, Idiyappam, Puttu and also rice.
Subscribe Our Channel :
Watch more videos on :
Like us on Facebook :
Visit our website :
Follow us on Instagram :
Follow us on Twitter: