Pappadoms (Pappads / Appalam / Pappadams) are thin round wafers usually made using Urad dal. Earlier, people used to make Pappadoms at home from scratch. But now, many varieties of them are common and easily available in the market.
Pappadoms are ineluctable in a Kerala feast (Sadhya). They are usually deep fried and served with rice. Its combination with Payasam (a South Indian dessert) and Pazham (Ripe Banana) is a must-try.
Now give the Pappadoms a spicy twist by making this tasty and crunchy Pappadom Thoran. Try and enjoy it with hot rice!
WATCH VIDEO RECIPE
- Plain Pappadoms / Papads (made using urad dal) – 15 to 20 numbers
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies – 3
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Shallots – 4 to 5, sliced thin
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp or as required
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Salt – As per taste
- Coconut oil – To fry pappadoms and temper
- Cut the pappadoms into small pieces.
- Fry the pappadoms in coconut oil and keep it aside.
- Heat coconut oil and splatter mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal, dry red chillies, curry leaves and shallots.
- When the shallots starts browning, add salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Stir well for 1 minute. Make sure the flame is low.
- Add grated coconut and mix well.
- Add fried pappadoms and mix everything really well. If you want, you may slightly crush the pappadoms. Don’t make it like a powder.
- Serve with rice.
Subscribe Our Channel :
Watch more videos on :
Like us on Facebook :
Visit our website :
Follow us on Instagram :
Follow us on Twitter: